Saturday, September 29, 2007

My Zyban Experience, Day 4

Today’s transition to two pills seems to have gone smoothly. I feel that I slept a lot today, but that is not abnormal. I am usually a sleepy person. Considering the amount that I have been sleeping lately, you wouldn’t think I would be so tired though.

I woke up at 7:30am this morning, took my first pill, walked my dog, had a cigarette and fell back asleep until about 12pm. When I woke up the second time, I went out to get coffee and decided to have the highlights in my hair touched up as well. I arrived back home around 4pm and took my second pill. After taking my second pill, I shopped with a friend and didn’t feel any difference except that I was more social with people working at the stores than I normally am. Additionally, being that I was walking around outside so much, I did smoke less than normal, but I still felt the desire to smoke.

Home for the night at around 7pm, I did a few small things around my apartment and fell asleep for about 3 hours. When I woke up, I was not groggy. I went outside with my dog and didn’t necessarily feel the need to smoke but did so any way (it is a ritual for me –just as he needs to use the bathroom, I need to smoke). Right now, I feel like a small headache is coming on and there is this mild but odd “zapping”-like feeling coming and going in my head but nothing else otherwise.

I also felt the need to drink more coffee today but resisted the urge by ordering decaf instead.

I guess I would have to say: So far, so good. I wonder how this is going to help me quit smoking and if, after more time on Zyban, its effects will be stronger. As of right now, the effects seem to be diminishing as each day goes by. Well, maybe not? I just realized I have about 8 cigarettes left from the pack I bought yesterday. A week ago, this pack would be gone by now… That decrease could also be because I slept so much today though.

The thing I need to get over right now is not smoking at the times I am accustomed to. These are the times I will reach for a cigarette without even thinking about it:

Answering a phone call
Waking up
Anytime I leave my house – I grab a cigarette before my keys
Leaving a subway station
Walking the dog
After I eat
Anytime I am leaving a smoke free area

I think this is all for tonight. Now, I will go try to tackle some cleaning. I don’t see myself going to bed at a normal time now that I woke up from a 3 hour “nap” at 10:30pm.

No comments: